Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Work Christmas Party!

In my office this year, I am the ONLY palagi in a sea of Samoans. Palagi means foreigner. And that, I am!! I love everyone in my office. They are all so thoughtful, caring, and generous. Especially when it comes to learning the Samoan culture. This year, our related services department was nominated to be on the social committee and throw the Christmas party. I was asked to bring a side dish so I brought Mac and cheese! When I got to work I quickly realized that my Mac and cheese dish was A LOT smaller than everyone else's! I forgot to Samoan size my meal! Haha! Everyone brought so much food! I'm talkin spaghetti, chop suey, ham, fish, Mac salad, potato salad, sausages, breadfruit, taro. You name it! We were all asked to help put all the food in styrofoam containers. I asked why don't they just have it buffet style? Why place the food in containers? I was quickly told no. I realize now that the left over containers were taken to other family members and co workers. This makes a lot more sense now. Haha! Put all the food in a to-go boxes- ensures that all the food will be taken somewhere to get eaten! 

While helping my co-workers I notice everyone was in "helping mode". There was an assembly line of people and they all knew exactly what to do. They all gave each other orders strictly in Samoan. Usually when I'm around, they will only speak in English but not today. Today was a Samoan day. You can feel the intensity in the air. You can tell that they have done this several times before. There was this buzz - a natural high from being around all the food. Everyone was in work mode. The food preparation was taken VERRY seriously. I was on napkin duty. I had to put all the forks in napkins. Haha. They didn't trust me with the food! I took my camera out and took a few pics! Even though they yelled at me to come back and work, I still managed to get a few pics in! ;) The party was a success! I'm going to miss fun days like this!! 

Watching them work from my desk ;)


Sooo much food!!


Love my co-workers! 
Musical chairs! Haha! 

Of course I find a puppy and make him sit with me! 

Siva! (Dancing)


Samoan food! Looks like its a cheatday today! Lol. So many carbs!








No comments:

Post a Comment