Monday, November 30, 2015

Manuia Le Aso Fa'afetai

Ahh the holidays are already here! I can't even believe it. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite holidays. This is my second year without my family and Jameson's family. I love seeing all the pictures and snapchats of family and friends all dressed cozy and warm! I miss wearing warm clothes. Cute uggs and a cute jacket! I know I say this now but when I move home to the cold, I'll be wishing I was in Samoa! I can never win. ;)

This year, we celebrated at our friend Ari's house. It was potluck style! I brought special deviled eggs and stuffing! The deviled eggs are slowly becoming my signature dish. I found this awesome Pinterest page with great deviled egg ideas. Luckily, eggs are never in a shortage here! So its a nice reliable dish. Plus, everyone gets a kick out of it! Haha! This year we did pumpkins and turkey butts with turkey tails. The tails were made of different color bell pepper and the butt was made of a pecan. Simple ingredients to find on the island right?! .. WRONG! I could not find pecans for the life of me! Jamo had a good idea to buy the mixed planters nuts and pick out the pecans. So that's what we did! It worked! Haha! Now finding red, yellow, and green bell pepper. I got lucky at one store and found green and yellow bell pepper. Just when I was about to give up on the red bell pepper I found one buried under the yellow bell pepper. Score! What luck! I buy the peppers and head home. When I get home I start prepping for my deviled egg dish. I cut into the yellow and green bell pepper just fine. Now time for the red! I slice it open to find the entire pepper covered in mold!! Ugh! No wonder it was the last one left! Nobody wanted it! I felt so discouraged. I yearned to be home because at home, there's no shortage of amazing fruits and veggies! Something that I most definitely took for granted. I improvised with red tomatoes which ended up being ok. Its so frustrating to be away from family during this time. You always feel like you're on edge. I literally don't know what I would do without Jameson! He is my rock, my anchor. And even though I'm sad to be away from family and friends, I'm so so thankful to have Jameson in my life. Cheers to another day in paradise! 

Manuia Le Aso Fa'afetai! (Happy thanksgiving!) Love, The Newtsons 


Turkey butts! 

Pumpkins!






No comments:

Post a Comment