Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Radio Time

This summer, I decided I wanted to do a Toy Drive asking the public to donate their gently used toys to help motivate and entice our kiddos with developmental delays in the classroom. What started off very small, quickly transformed into a much larger scale! I was asked to come in to the local radio station, 93KHJ, to do an on air interview about my toy drive. I was so nervous at the thought but I knew I had to do it. It was such a great platform to promote that I couldn't waste this opportunity on a few nerves! So off we went, my intern and I, to the radio station early Friday morning. Jameson drove us in our new truck! He even had the video camera ready bc he wanted to video tape it. Lol! I love to see him so stoked on me. Its so nice to see him support me like he does.
We walk into the radio station, a little office building on the second floor. We are asked to sit down and write down all the questions we want asked. I can hear the radio personalities in the background; laughing and heckling each other on the air. What a trip! I listen to these guys every morning! 93KHJ is pretty much the only radio station that anyone listens to on the entire island. That's 60,000 people island wide! Just the thought of it gave me a huge lump in my throat! Haha! I was starting to get really nervous..😳. They finally call us in and have us sit on these little wooden chairs. There were so many lights and buttons everywhere! Microphones and headphones. Radio is such a trip! I meet the host, John Reyner, AKA: Johnny the Wild Palagi, and his co stars RJ an Sia. I hear them all the time. Its so weird to see them in person. We start the interview so fast. I felt like I wasnt prepared! As soon as John started to ask me questions about behavior therapy and the toy drive, its like my nerves disappeared. Completely vanished. I went into professional mode and there was no turning back. Haha! I answered all his questions in full and didn't even stutter! A 7 min long interview felt like it was over in seconds! It went by so fast! After I was done, we took some pics and went on our way. The next few days everyone kept telling me they heard me on the air. In addition, we had a huge increase of donations come Monday (today) morning! They really weren't kidding when they said the whole island is listening! I'm so proud of my intern, Stephanie for coming and talking as well! She's so great. Overall, an amazing experience! I even got an MP3 of our entire interview to share with family and friends. A great souvenir if you ask me. ;)  


No comments:

Post a Comment